Plot & Details
Purporting to be loosely based on Hamlet, Strange Brew is about an evil braumeister at the Elsinore Brewery who has discovered an additive that when guzzled in beer, allows the drinkers to be easily controlled. Braumeister Smith (Max von Sydow) has a plan to take over the world with his new brew, and only the Great White hosers of the North, Bob and Doug McKenzie (Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas) -- with their plaid shirts, ski toques, fur-lined parkas, and addiction to beer -- can stop the dastardly plan, sober or not. There are several jabs at "hoseheads" and the business of movie-making, including an epilogue that critiques the film itself. Strange Brew found a cult audience with fans of the Second City comedy troupe, of which Moranis and Thomas were members.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/24/1992
- DVD Release Date: 10/01/2002
- Director(s): Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas
- Starring: Dave Thomas , Rick Moranis , Max von Sydow , Paul Dooley , Lynne Griffin
- Themes: Assassination Plots,Cons and Scams,Mind Games,Obsessive Quests,Righting the Wronged
- Tone: Light,Goofy,Humorous,Silly,Easygoing,Quirky,Upbeat,Campy,Satirical
- Keywords: beer, brother, heir, kidnapping, Canadian [nationality], brewery, business, mind-control, politician, rescue, scheme, world-domination
- Language: English