Plot & Details
Can anything be bleaker than the shabby slums of Berlin? Yes, argues director Werner Herzog in Stroszek: try Wisconsin sometime. Bruno S.. stars as an ex-mental patient who dreams of the so-called promised land of America. He aligns himself with like-minded prostitute Eva Mattes and elderly, near-senile Clemens Scheitz. Upon their arrival in Wisconsin, the three misfits find that they're just as trapped in Dairy Country as they'd been in Germany--if not more so. The sour and bitter Stroszek earned worldwide critical and commercial acclaim.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/16/2000
- DVD Release Date: 01/08/2002
- Director(s): Werner Herzog
- Starring: Bruno S. , Eva Mattes , Clemens Scheitz , Wilhelm von Homburg , Burkhardt Driest
- Themes: Unlikely Criminals,Fish Out of Water,Immigrant Life,Culture Clash
- Tone: Affectionate,Bittersweet,Deadpan,Satirical,Wry,Haunting,Elegiac,Understated
- Keywords: alcoholism, traveling, American-dream, cross-cultural-relations, culture-clash, immigrant, late-bloomers, love, prostitute/prostitution, slice-of-life, songwriter
- Language: German