A confident teen rowing team faces an unexpected challenge -- both in and out of the water -- in this coming-of-age comedy drama. Summer Storm primarily concerns the angsty Tobi (Robert Stadlober), a high-school oarsman whose finds his intimate friendship with charismatic teammate Achim (Kostja Ullmann) threatened as Achim gets more serious with his girlfriend. Tobi's situation is complicated when he and the boys leave for rowing camp for the summer: there, the headstrong team is introduced to The Queerstrokes, a champion team of out-and-proud gay teen athletes. Some of the boys are fine with their new opponents, some are blatantly homophobic, and others -- Tobi included -- find their already shaky notions of heterosexuality threatened. Tensions rise in the days building up to the big competition, and Tobi struggles to come to terms with what his true desires are. Summer Storm had its North American premiere at the 2004 Toronto Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/17/2006
- DVD Release Date: 09/05/2006
- Distributor(s): Regent Releasing
- Themes: Culture Clash,High School Life,Journey of Self-Discovery,Questioning Sexuality
- Tone: Irreverent,Compassionate,Earnest,Sentimental,Bittersweet
coming-out, friendship, girlfriend, high-school, homophobia, homosexual, regatta, rowing, self-discovery, teenagers
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (10-14-2005)
- Language: German