Plot & Details
When the mischievous antics of a precocious 12-year-old girl result in the outcome of the United States presidential election hinging on the vote of her apathetic, likable loser of a father, the man who thought that life had long since passed him by is reluctantly thrust into the national spotlight in this political-themed comedy starring Kevin Costner. Bud Johnson (Costner) is your typical American -- a simple man and loving father who never would have thought he had the power to change the world. Though when election day finally arrives and Bud prepares to cast his ballot, his overachieving daughter Molly proves to be the catalyst for a stunning series of events that place the fate of the free world in the hands of a man more comfortable slinging cases of beer -- her father. The two candidates are portrayed by Dennis Hopper and Kelsey Grammer, with Nathan Lane and Stanley Tucci as their campaign managers. George Lopez also stars as a local TV-station manager who has to deal with the political factions as they set up camp in the small town.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 119min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/01/2008
- DVD Release Date: 01/13/2009
- Distributor(s): Touchstone
- Director(s): Joshua Michael Stern
- Starring: Kevin Costner , Madeline Carroll , Paula Patton , Kelsey Grammer , Dennis Hopper
- Themes: Alcoholism,Heads of State,Fathers and Daughters,Redemption,Single Parents
- Tone: Gentle,Humorous,Reflective,Sweet
- Keywords: TV-station, campaign, election, political-crisis, political-machine, presidential-election, voting, working-class
- Country of Origin: USA (08-01-2008)
- Language: English