Plot & Details
A knowing examination of the psyche of the modern American male, Doug Liman's debut comedy Swingers stars screenwriter Jon Favreau as the sensitive Mike, a struggling actor and stand-up comic looking for romance in the wake of the dissolution of a six-year relationship. Against his better judgment, he hits the town with his pal Trent (Vince Vaughn, in a star-making performance), a retro-hip smooth-talker who calls women "babies" and feels compelled to illustrate to Mike the error of his gentlemanly ways. First in Las Vegas and later in a series of hip L.A. nightspots, the duo and their other pals, including a guy named Sue (Patrick Van Horn), prowl for women, looking for kicks and cheap thrills. The difference is that while Trent wants sex, Mike wants love and romance. Only when he learns to simply be himself does he find what he's looking for.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/18/1996
- DVD Release Date: 09/24/2002
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Director(s): Doug Liman
- Starring: Jon Favreau , Vince Vaughn , Ron Livingston , Patrick Van Horn , Alex Désert
- Themes: Twentysomething Life,Men's Friendship,Arrested Adolescence,Starting Over
- Tone: Goofy,Light,Matter-of-Fact,Affectionate,Witty,Wry,Easygoing,Talky
- Keywords: actor, bachelor, dating, friendship, frustration, gambling, love, show-business, unemployment
- Language: English