Plot & Details
Ellen Barkin stars in this mystical comedy about a detestable male chauvinist temporarily reincarnated into the body of a woman. Steve Brooks (Perry King) foolishly accepts an invite for an evening of debauchery from three former girlfriends, and thinks he's got it made when he shows up to find them waiting for him in a hot tub. Eager to exact revenge on the scoundrel, the women proceed to drown him, and Steve is cast into a purgatory in which two unseen voices are deciding whether to send him to heaven or hell. Steve is given one chance to save himself from damnation -- if he can find a woman alive who actually liked him. To complicate his task and teach him a lesson, Steve is reincarnated as a sexy woman (Barkin), just the type who would have been the target of his cheesy advances. Sloppily adjusting to his new body, Steve (now Barkin) tells people he is the sister of the missing Steve Brooks, and begins working at his old advertising agency as a means toward completing his arduous task. As Steve's sister, he also enlists the help of his best friend, Walter (Jimmy Smits), despite the complication that Walter is noticeably attracted to the woman he has become. Steve's homophobia -- and several of his other hateful traits -- are put to the test.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Fantasy
- Run Time: 104min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/10/1991
- DVD Release Date: 11/21/2000
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Blake Edwards
- Starring: Ellen Barkin , Jimmy Smits , JoBeth Williams , Lorraine Bracco , Perry King
- Themes: Gender-Bending,Fish Out of Water,Trading Bodies
- Tone: Goofy,Humorous,Racy
- Keywords: death, frame-up, ghost, gigolo, heaven, lesbianism, search, afterlife, battle-of-the-sexes, con/scam, investigation, murder, revenge, role-switching
- Country of Origin: USA (05-10-1991)
- Language: English