Plot & Details
Taking over the already profitable Hughes tool company from his deceased father, the teenaged Howard Hughes (Tommy Lee Jones) turns the operation into a billion-dollar business. Along the way, he dabbles in film production, romancing such Hollywood lovelies as Katharine Hepburn (Tovah Feldshuh) and Billie Dove (Lee Purcell). Fame becomes notoreity as Hughes embarks on such projects as the "bosom western" The Outlaw and the "Spruce Goose." He also defiantly stands up to the HUAC-only to become one of America's most virulent anti-Communists. In his twilight years, the fabulously wealthy but increasingly paranoid Hughes lives like a down-and-out hermit in his high-rise Las Vegas suite, communicating only with his trusted associate Noah Dietrich (Ed Flanders), and then not even with him. Adapted from the memoirs of Noah Dietrich, The Amazing Howard Hughes originally aired April 13 and 14, 1977.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 119min.
- DVD Release Date: 12/03/2002
- Director(s): William A. Graham
- Themes: Rise and Fall Stories,Tortured Genius,Mental Illness
- Tone: Compassionate,Nostalgic,Sweeping
- Keywords: barnstorming, eccentric, millionaire, paranoia, anti-Communism, aviation, business, hermit, wealth
- Language: English