Plot & Details
Robert Mitchum plays as U.S. ambassador to Israel whose efforts at reaching a peace agreement with the Palestinians run afoul of the somewhat questionable ambitions of security advisor Rock Hudson. Meanwhile, Mitchum's wife Ellen Burstyn embarks upon an affair with a PLO leader. When this fact comes to Mitchum's attention, he refuses to pay the prescribed "hush money", sparking a deadly chain reaction. You may need a microscope to discern this, but The Ambassador was adapted from Elmore Leonard's crime novel 52 Pick Up. Though a more faithful-to-the-source cinemazation of the Leonard book was lensed in 1986, The Ambassador remains the better of the two versions.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Romance
- Run Time: 97min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/27/2005
- Distributor(s): Cannon Group
- Director(s): J. Lee Thompson
- Starring: Robert Mitchum , Ellen Burstyn , Rock Hudson , Fabio Testi , Donald Pleasence
- Themes: Terrorism,Assassination Plots,Conspiracies
- Tone: Gritty,Ominous
- Keywords: ambassador [political], extramarital-affair, politician, romance, terrorism, against-all-odds, peace, peacemaker