Plot & Details
Two bohemians come up with a get-rich-quick scheme that goes awray in this comedy scripted by Carl Reiner. Paul (Dick Van Dyke and Casey (James Garner) are two American expatriates living in Paris; Paul is an artist and Casey a writer. Both have been trying to make a career, but with little success; Paul's girlfriend Nikki (Angie Dickinson), who is still in America, believes in his work and pays his rent. But Paul has reached the end of his tether and wants to go back home; Casey is horrified at the prospect of losing a rent-free home, so he comes up with an idea to help Paul's career and make some money. Since works by dead artists tend to fetch higher price tags and command more interest than work by living painters, Paul will fake his death with Casey's help and they'll both clean up. The plan works at first, until Casey finds he's been accused of murdering Paul. Ethel Merman has a supporting role as a madam with a habit of bursting into song.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 99min.
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Norman Jewison
- Starring: James Garner , Dick Van Dyke , Elke Sommer , Angie Dickinson , Ethel Merman
- Themes: Bohemian Life,Cons and Scams
- Tone: Humorous,Light,Madcap,Witty,Wry
- Keywords: America, artist, friendship, madame, painting, panic, roommate, songwriter, art, con/scam