Plot & Details
For this TV movie, writer-director Jane Anderson adapted her own play contrasting biological and adoptive mothers. Impoverished and pregnant Wanda LeFauve (Laura Dern) lives in a trailer outside Shreveport with her four children and her unemployed husband Al LeFauve (Richard Lineback). When Wanda spots the classified ad of a couple who want to adopt a newborn baby, she responds with a phone call that puts her in touch with a wealthy Los Angeles Jewish couple -- Rachel (Stockard Channing) and Richard Luckman (Peter Riegert). The Luckmans arrive in Louisiana to meet the donors, and both couples deal with the legalistics, while also overcoming their fears and transcending the inevitable cultural and class barriers. Filmed in Vancouver, the film preemed August 23, 1998 on Showtime.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/24/1997
- Director(s): Jane Anderson
- Starring: Laura Dern , Stockard Channing , Peter Riegert , Richard Lineback , Wally Dalton
- Themes: Class Differences,Expecting a Baby,Adoption
- Tone: Bittersweet,Compassionate,Reflective,Talky
- Keywords: adoption, biological-family [vs. adoptive], class-clash, pregnancy