Plot & Details
In this engaging drama, acclaimed Japanese director Akira Kurosawa deftly splices together the nuances of hypocrisy, old feudal misconceptions lingering in modern corruption, and Shakespeare's Hamlet. The rotten corporate world is taken on by Koichi Nishi (Toshiro Mifune), who is looking for revenge in the death of his father. Koichi is a private secretary to a government official, and in the opening scene, at Koichi's wedding to the official's disabled daughter, a special cake is brought in which jolts those present -- it reminds them of the suicide that paved the way for their current positions of power. Then the police arrive and arrest one of the wedding guests. Unknown to the others, Koichi is the hidden force behind all the strange happenings that begin to sting their consciences and ruin their lives. Ghostly figures and would-be killers in the dark streets contrast with shining corporate offices as the plot maneuvers to its tragic conclusion.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 160min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/09/2002
- DVD Release Date: 12/02/2003
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): Toho
- Director(s): Akira Kurosawa
- Starring: Toshiro Mifune
- Themes: Death of a Parent,Haunted By the Past,Office Politics
- Tone: Bleak,Confrontational,Disturbing,Downbeat
- Keywords: Japan, Japanese [nationality], business-corruption, revenge, suicide, wedding
- Language: Japanese