Plot & Details
This made-for-TV movie stars Lee Majors as Andy Crocker, a disillusioned Vietnam veteran. His homecoming is hardly a hero's welcome: Andy finds that his girl friend is married, his business is in the toilet, and his friends and neighbors are reluctant to acknowledge his existence. Originally telecast November 18, 1969, this film was one of the first to tackle the issue of disenfranchised Nam soldiers who came trudging home to indifference and hostility. Wisely, it avoids the fistfights and gore that would attend the later unfortunate spate of "crazed Vietnam vet" pictures. Though it would seem to be self-contained, The Ballad of Andy Crocker was intended as the pilot for a weekly TV series.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 80min.
- DVD Release Date: 02/23/1999
- Director(s): George McCowan
- Themes: Starting Over,Home From the War
- Tone: Downbeat,Poignant,Understated
- Keywords: teenagers, disillusionment, domination [influence], homecoming, offbeat, prejudice, retrospective, salesperson, veteran [military]
- Language: English