Plot & Details
The Technicolor swashbuckler Bandit of Sherwood Forest stars Cornel Wilde as Robert of Nottingham, son of the legendary Robin Hood (Russell Hicks). Robert elects to follow in his father's footsteps when oppression rears its ugly head in the form of a despotic Regent (Henry Daniell) and his partner in perfidy Fitz-Herbert (George Macrady). Our hero reunites the Merrie Men, including Friar Tuck (Edgar Buchanan) and Will Scarlet (John Abbott), determined to force the wicked Regent to recognize the Magna Carta. He also finds time to carry on romance with high-born Anita Louise, who has disguised herself as a scullery maid. If the film's huge castle set looks familiar, it is because it was reused in several of Columbia's Three Stooges comedies, most memorably The Hot Scots (1948). Based on a novel by Paul A. Castleton, Bandit of Sherwood Forest was more or less remade four years later as Rogues of Sherwood Forest.
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 85min.
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Henry Levin, George Sherman
- Starring: Cornel Wilde , Anita Louise , Jill Esmond , Edgar Buchanan , George Macready
- Themes: Fighting the System,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Rousing
- Keywords: Robin-Hood,civil-defense,electrocution,father,forest,fungus,king,love,maiden,outlaw [Western],quarantine,rescue,robbery,romance,son,swashbuckler,television-crew