Plot & Details
American architect Stourley Kracklite (Brian Dennehy) comes with his young wife Louisa (Chloe Webb) to Rome to supervise an exhibition devoted to Etienne-Louis Boullée, a French architect of the 18th century. Suffering from severe abdominal pains, Stourley doesn't pay much attention to his pregnant wife, and she finds consolation in the arms of suave Caspasian Speckler (Lambert Wilson). Built from rigidly symmetrical images, the film has quite an unusual subject: the belly -- both the sick one of the architect and the pregnant one of his wife, the rounded forms alluding to the spherical constructions designed by Boullée, the architect whose visionary projects seldom materialized. Beautifully shot on location in Rome, this ironic fable wittily examines the issues of artistic creativity.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Art and Experimental,Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/21/2008
- DVD Release Date: 06/15/2004
- Distributor(s): Hemdale
- Director(s): Peter Greenaway
- Starring: Brian Dennehy , Chloe Webb , Lambert Wilson , Sergio Fantoni , Stefania Casini
- Themes: Life in the Arts,Suicide
- Tone: Deliberate,Lavish,Quirky,Talky,Whimsical,Literate
- Keywords: abdominals, architecture, exhibition, extramarital-affair, husband-and-wife, pregnancy, stomach
- Country of Origin: USA (05-04-1990)
- Language: English