Plot & Details
Penelope Spheeris directed this compulsively faithful film adaptation of the popular 1960s television series. The familiar story 'bout a man named Jed Clampett (Jim Varney), a poor mountaineer who barely kept his family fed, continues to follow the TV show's format. Jed discovers oil on his Arkansas property and overnight becomes a multi-millionaire. He moves his family to Beverly Hills, wanting to turn his daughter Ellie May (Erika Eleniak) into a sophisticated woman. At his new Beverly Hills mansion, he meets Mr. Drysdale (Dabney Coleman), a kow-towing banker, and Drysdale's assistant, the repressed crone Miss Hathaway (Lily Tomlin). Jed announces that he would like to re-marry, and that leaves the door open for Drysdale's scheming lackey Woodrow Tyler (Rob Schneider) and his fortune-hunting partner Laura Jackson (Lea Thompson) to make the moves on Jed.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/15/1993
- DVD Release Date: 12/14/2004
- Distributor(s): Fox
- Director(s): Penelope Spheeris
- Starring: Diedrich Bader , Dabney Coleman , Erika Eleniak , Cloris Leachman , Rob Schneider
- Themes: Culture Clash,Class Differences,Fish Out of Water,Rags To Riches
- Tone: Campy,Goofy,Light
- Keywords: backwoods, fish-out-of-water, hillbilly, mansion, oil-strike, oil-tycoon, rags-to-riches