Plot & Details
After the death of Bruce Lee in 1973, writer/director Robert Clouse made several attempts to reproduce the success of his Enter the Dragon, which belatedly made Lee a household name in America. Clouse felt (with good reason) that Jackie Chan could be the next big martial arts star in America, and he crafted this feature with him in mind. Jerry Kwan (Chan) is a Korean immigrant trying to make good in Chicago in the 1930s. Work isn't easy to find for an Asian immigrant. Jerry is forced by Domenici (Jose Ferrer), a well-connected mobster, to represent him in a no-holds-barred, winner-take-all battle in Texas. But can Jerry handle the pressure? The Big Brawl was Jackie Chan's first starring role in an American film, but Chan wouldn't break through in the United States until the 1996 U.S. release of Rumble in the Bronx.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/18/1996
- DVD Release Date: 09/07/2004
- Director(s): Robert Clouse
- Starring: Jackie Chan , José Ferrer , Kristine de Bell , Mako , Rosalind Chao
- Themes: Immigrant Life
- Tone: Rousing
- Keywords: Korean-American, Mafia, fight, gangster, immigrant, martial-arts, underworld