Plot & Details
One of the first recognizable "vigilante" films in American cinema, The Born Losers tells the story of Billy Jack (writer-director Tom Laughlin), a half-breed ex-Green Beret and Vietnam veteran who makes it his business to rescue a cute mod girl from a crew of vicious bikers. Much to his chagrin, however, he finds his lethal training gets him in as much trouble with the racist cops as with the bikers, and he soon becomes embroiled in a violent struggle against all parties involved. There is blood-letting and bone-breaking to burn in The Born Losers, not to mention lots of preaching on the part of Laughlin. However, it still tops the more famous sequel, Billy Jack, and it qualifies writer-director-star Laughlin for the status of true auteur.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 112min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/06/2006
- DVD Release Date: 10/31/2000
- Distributor(s): American International Pictures
- Director(s): Tom Laughlin
- Starring: Tom Laughlin , Elizabeth James , Jane Russell , Jeremy Slate , William Wellman, Jr.
- Themes: Vigilantes,Righting the Wronged
- Tone: Earnest,Tense,Forceful,Visceral,Rousing
- Keywords: half-breed, martial-arts, Native-American, bad-guy-turns-good, biker, harassment, one-against-odds
- Language: English