Plot & Details
Welcome Back Kotter star John Travolta headlines the made-for-TV Boy in the Plastic Bubble. Douglas Day Stewart's fact-based teleplay casts Travolta as Tod Lubitsch, a teenager who was born without disease immunities. Tod is forced to live out his life in incubator conditions; whenever he vetnures into the outdoors, he must be encased in a huge plastic bubble. When he falls in love with Gina Biggs (Glynnis O'Connor), Tod must decide between staying safe and following his heart, which would mean facing near-certain death. Diana Hyland won an Emmy for her portrayal of Travolta's mother. Incidentally, Hyland and Travolta became real-life lovers, a relationship that was tragically terminated when the actress died of cancer. Boy in the Plastic Bubble was first telecast November 12, 1976.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 100min.
- DVD Release Date: 10/21/1997
- Director(s): Randal Kleiser
- Starring: John Travolta , Diana Hyland , Robert Reed , Ralph Bellamy , Glynnis O'Connor
- Themes: Dying Young,Battling Illness,First Love
- Tone: Autumnal,Bittersweet,Poignant,Sentimental
- Keywords: coming-of-age, disease, germ-free-environment, immune-deficiency, isolation, love
- Language: English
Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1977||Academy of Television Arts and Sciences||Outstanding Performance By a Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Drama||Diana Hyland||Won|