Plot & Details
Jay Underwood plays an autistic boy who provides a source of fascination to a new family in town. Never uttering a sound, Underwood spends hours in his backyard, attempting to fly like the birds. Lucy Deakins, the daughter of the new family, befriends Underwood; she is encouraged by teacher Colleen Dewhurst to try to draw the boy out of his shell, and to keep a journal on the subject. Rendered unconscious in a fall, Deakins dreams that Underwood can fly. The boy is suddenly whisked away to an institution, and Deakins despairs that she'll never see him again.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama,Fantasy
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/20/2009
- DVD Release Date: 07/08/2003
- Distributor(s): 20th Century Fox
- Director(s): Nick Castle, Jr.
- Starring: Lucy Deakins , Jay Underwood , Bonnie Bedelia , Fred Savage , Colleen Dewhurst
- Themes: Eccentric Families,Mothers and Daughters,Sibling Relationships
- Tone: Affectionate,Gentle,Heartwarming,Humorous,Light,Poignant
- Keywords: adolescence,autism,birds,boy,flying,mute,teacher
- Country of Origin: USA (08-15-1986)
- Language: English