Plot & Details
The Brady Bunch Movie pays tribute to the 1970s TV show while poking gentle fun at it. The Brady family, led by father Mike (Gary Cole), still live in their suburban, split-level home and are still throwbacks to the era that spawned them. Eternally perky wife Carol (Shelley Long) is the perfect homemaker, while the kids' behavior is as wholesome as their loud, time-warp pastel clothes. Meanwhile, the greedy, selfish modern era swirls dangerously around them, embodied in next-door neighbor and real estate agent Ditmeyer (Michael McKean), who wants to buy the Bradys' property and turn the neighborhood into a giant mall. But no amount of money or prodding can persuade the Bradys to give up their home. Director Betty Thomas contrasts the overlit sitcom look of the Brady house interiors (faithfully recreated from the series) with real locations and natural grit for the modern L.A. scenes. The result is a satire that deftly spoofs the idea of staying true to old-fashioned values without ever passing judgment on those values.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 88min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/17/1995
- DVD Release Date: 06/10/2003
- Director(s): Betty Thomas
- Starring: Shelley Long , Gary Cole , Michael McKean , Jean Smart , Henriette Mantel
- Themes: Fish Out of Water,Race Against Time,Fighting the System,Whistleblowers,Sibling Relationships,Stop the Wrecking Ball
- Tone: Campy,Light,Bright,Satirical,Silly,Upbeat
- Keywords: contest,crush,family,homestead,house,love,manipulation,neighbor,parent,real-estate,sibling
- Language: English