Plot & Details
Mel Ferrer and Anthony Quinn are perfectly cast in The Brave Bulls. Ferrer plays a star matador who is the idol of the crowds, an image carefully cultivated by Quinn, his manager. The matador is unbeatable until the woman he loves (Miroslava) perishes in an auto accident. Wracked by guilt and self-doubt, Ferrer is gored in his next battle. The rest of the film traces Ferrer's slow and torturous regaining of his courage. Based on the novel by Tom Lea, The Brave Bulls manages to convey the euphoria and blood-lust of the aficionados without offending the sensibilities of the Hollywood censors. The film's greatest asset is the gut-wrenching camera work by James Wong Howe and Floyd Crosby.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/21/2001
- Status: In Theaters
- Director(s): Robert Rossen
- Starring: Mel Ferrer , Miroslava Stern , Anthony Quinn , Eugene Iglesias , José Torvay
- Tone: Earnest,Sentimental,Tearjerking
- Keywords: guilt, idol, injury, masculinity, matador, recovery [health], self-doubt
- Language: English