Plot & Details
The brief, illicit love affair between an Iowa housewife and a post-middle-age free-lance photographer is chronicled in this powerful romance based on the best-selling novella by Robert James Waller. The story begins as globetrotting National Geographic photographer Robert Kincaid journeys to Madison County in 1965 to film its lovely covered bridges. Upon his arrival, he stops by an old farmhouse to ask directions. There he encounters housewife, Francesca Johnson, whose spouse and two children are out of town. Thus begins their four-day affair, a liaison that fundamentally changes them both. Later Francesca chronicles the affair in a diary which her flabbergasted grown children read; never would they have expected their mother to be capable of the passion she experienced with Kincaid.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 135min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/02/1995
- DVD Release Date: 03/26/1997
- Director(s): Clint Eastwood
- Starring: Clint Eastwood , Meryl Streep , Annie Corley , Victor Slezak , Jim Haynie
- Themes: Infidelity,Brief Encounters
- Tone: Deliberate,Heartwarming,Tearjerking,Warm,Wistful,Lyrical,Sentimental
- Keywords: bridge [structure],extramarital-affair,life-choices,loneliness,love,photographer,romance
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1995||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Actress||Meryl Streep||Nominated|