'Lee Daniels' The Butler' tells the story of a White House butler who served eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes that swept American society during this time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affected this man's life and family. Forest Whitaker stars as the butler with Robin Williams as Dwight Eisenhower, John Cusack as Richard Nixon, Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan, James Marsden as John F. Kennedy, Liev Schreiber as Lyndon B. Johnson, and many more. Academy Award nominated Lee Daniels ('PRECIOUS') directs and co-wrote the script with Emmy-award winning Danny Strong ('GAME CHANGE').
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 126min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/16/2013
- DVD Release Date: 01/14/2014
- Distributor(s): The Weinstein Co.
Cuba Gooding, Jr.
- Themes: Social Injustice,Race Relations,Heads of State,Fathers and Sons
- Tone: Earnest,Poignant,Reflective,Stirring
White-House, butler, high-society, social-issues
- Country of Origin: USA (10-18-2013),USA (08-16-2013)
- Language: English