Plot & Details
In this digitally shot feature from acclaimed director Wayne Wang) (The Joy Luck Club), the boundaries of sexual relations are put to the test by two individuals. Richard (Peter Sarsgaard) is a dot-com entrepreneur who, despite earning millions of dollars, feels little connection to the outside world. After frequenting a strip club, he offers Florence (Molly Parker), a sometime-stripper who also works as a drummer, $10,000 dollars to accompany him to Las Vegas for a short stay. She makes him a list of rules that must be followed: no kissing on the mouth, no penetration, and each will stay in separate bedrooms and only convene during the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. Staying in adjoining rooms, they stick to the plan as laid out until they develop a fondness for each other -- still, Florence tries to maintain the order of their agreement. Despite Richard's declarations that he is in love with her, she is forced not to let herself get too involved, even when their sexual relationship begins to increase after the arrival of Florence's hooker friend Jerri (Carla Gugino), who after a brutal fight with a man, immerses herself in the sexual lives of Richard and Florence. The film also features Balthazar Getty and Shirley Knight in small supporting roles.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Foreign
- Run Time: 86min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/20/2001
- DVD Release Date: 12/18/2001
- Distributor(s): Artisan
- Director(s): Wayne Wang
- Starring: Peter Sarsgaard , Molly Parker , Carla Gugino , Balthazar Getty
- Themes: Class Differences,Self-Destructive Romance,Prostitutes
- Tone: Austere,Claustrophobic,Literate,Stylized,Gritty,Melancholy,Understated,Cerebral,Chilly,Intimate,Sexual
- Keywords: Internet, contract, drummer, entrepreneur, hotel, prostitute/prostitution, sex, stripper
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-20-2001)
- Language: English