Plot & Details
George Cukor directed this sanitized version of Irving Wallace's tawdry best-seller concerning a survey of the sexual habits of American women. Psychologist George C. Chapman (Andrew Duggan) arrives in a Los Angeles suburb with his assistant Paul Radford (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.) in tow. They are looking for volunteers for their sex survey, and four women raise their hands: Sarah Garnell (Shelley Winters) is a middle-aged woman who is having an affair with young theater director Fred Linden (Ray Danton); Teresa Harnish (Glynis Johns) is a happily married woman who becomes attracted to brawny football player Ed Kraski (Ty Hardin); Naomi Shields (Claire Bloom) is an alcoholic nymphomaniac who takes up with an unsavory jazz musician; and Kathleen Barclay (Jane Fonda) is a young widow who thinks she is frigid -- that is, until Radford makes her his personal project.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 125min.
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): George Cukor
- Starring: Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. , Shelley Winters , Jane Fonda , Claire Bloom , Glynis Johns
- Themes: Infidelity,Sexual Awakening
- Tone: Humorous,Earnest,Racy
- Keywords: alcoholism, community, extramarital-affair, frigidity, intelligent, interview, psychology, survey, woman, nymphomaniac, philandering, sex, sexual-deviation, statistics, suburbs
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1962||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture||Harold J. Stone||Nominated|
|1962||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Picture - Drama||Nominated|
|1962||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Director||George Cukor||Nominated|
|1962||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama||Glynis Johns||Nominated|