Plot & Details
A sterling cast headed by Oscar-nominated Susan Sarandon makes this slick thriller one of the better adaptations of a John Grisham bestseller. Mark Sway (Brad Renfro) witnesses the suicide of a Mafia lawyer, who confesses that the Mob was behind the murder of a U.S. senator. Mark's brother is traumatized into a coma by the incident; gangster Barry Muldano (Anthony LaPaglia) is soon on Mark's trail, and in desperation, he arrives at the office of recovering alcoholic lawyer Reggie Love (Sarandon). With the Mob after them, and a ruthless federal attorney (Tommy Lee Jones) trying to force Mark to reveal what he knows, Love battles to guarantee the safety of her client and his family. The relationship between Reggie Love and Mark Sway is the center of the film, adding considerable character development to plot's routine elements. Director Joel Schumacher helmed another Grisham adaptation, A Time To Kill, in 1996.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/22/1994
- DVD Release Date: 12/17/1997
- Director(s): Joel Schumacher
- Starring: Susan Sarandon , Tommy Lee Jones , Mary-Louise Parker , Anthony LaPaglia , Anthony Edwards
- Themes: Flight of the Innocent,Witnessing a Crime,Lawyers,Fighting the System
- Tone: Wry,Menacing,Tense
- Keywords: Senator,assassination,boy,coma,confession [criminal],criminal,danger,death,gangster,hidden,killing,lawyer,on-the-run,prosecutor,pursuit,revenge,secrets,suicide,trauma,witness,youth
- Language: English