Plot & Details
In one of John Wayne's more interesting late Westerns, "The Duke" plays Will Anderson, a crusty veteran cattleman preparing a 400-mile drive to get a herd of steers to market. Shortly before the trip is scheduled to begin, Will's crew quits when they get word of a nearby gold strike. With little time and few alternatives, Will recruits eleven boys, ages nine through 13, and teaches them the basics of herding cattle and riding the range. Bruce Dern plays a memorably foul villain and cattle rustler named Long Hair, while Roscoe Lee Browne portrays Jebediah, the cattle drive cook, and Colleen Dewhurst is Kate, a madam.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 128min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/25/2007
- DVD Release Date: 10/07/1998
- Director(s): Mark Rydell
- Starring: John Wayne , Roscoe Lee Browne , Bruce Dern , Colleen Dewhurst , Slim Pickens
- Themes: Cattle Ranchers,Out For Revenge,Mentors,Ranchers
- Tone: Forceful,Gritty,Tense
- Keywords: boy,cattle,cattle-drive,cowboy,journey,ranch,revenge,role-switching,schoolboy,shoot-out
- Language: English