Plot & Details
French New Wave filmmaker Agnes Varda writes and directs the intellectual drama Les Creatures. Michel Piccoli plays a novelist who gets in a severe car accident. He is injured and his wife (Catherine Deneuve) is rendered mute. They move to a small village on an island in order to recuperate, and for the husband to write his novel. He uses characters based on the townsfolk on the island. He meets a young man (Jacques Charrier) who is building a machine. They play chess and engage in a violent fight. The wife gives birth and regains her speech, and it is apparent that the young man only existed in the husband's imagination. The conclusion involves a futher distortion of fantasy and reality as the writer finishes his novel.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/01/2009
- Distributor(s): Mag Bodard-Parc Films-Madeleine Films-Sandrews
- Director(s): Agnès Varda
- Starring: Michel Piccoli , Catherine Deneuve , Jacques Charrier , Eva Dahlbeck , Nino Castelnuovo
- Themes: Writer's Life
- Tone: Literate,Meditative,Reflective
- Keywords: France, book, recovery [health], seaside, trauma, vacation, accident, car, disfigurement, fantasy, injury, pregnancy, reality, townspeople