Plot & Details
A decade after wowing critics with his debut feature Half Japanese: The Band That Would Be King, director Jeff Feuerzeig finally delivered his sophomore effort -- a documentary about the life and music of singer/songwriter Daniel Johnston. Using archived film clips and recordings with newly shot footage and interviews, the film paints a detailed and honest picture of the tortured genius. The Devil and Daniel Johnston premiered at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Documentary
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/31/2006
- DVD Release Date: 09/19/2006
- Distributor(s): Sony Classics
- Director(s): Jeff Feuerzeig
- Starring: Daniel Johnston , Mabel Johnston , Bill Johnston , Kathy McCarty , Jeff Tatrakov
- Themes: Mental Illness,Musician's Life,Tortured Genius
- Tone: Bittersweet,Compassionate,Intimate,Poignant,Reflective
- Keywords: archival-footage, career-retrospective, indie-rock, mental-illness, rock-music, singer/songwriter
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (03-31-2006)
- Language: English