Plot & Details
Canadian filmmaker Thom Fitzgerald directs the sentimental ensemble drama The Event. Nick (Parker Posey) is a district attorney investigating several deaths in the gay community of New York City's Chelsea District. It seems that many AIDS sufferers have died under similar mysterious circumstances. Each case suggest the use of assisted suicide, which is illegal in New York. HIV-infected cellist Matt (Don McKellar) has died of a drug overdose following a large party in Manhattan given by his family and friends. Nick first questions his lover Brian (Brent Carver), who runs an HIV support clinic. Still looking for answers, she interviews Matt's closest family members, including his mother Lila (Olympia Dukakis), his younger sister Dana (Sarah Polley), and his older sister Gaby (Joanna P. Adler). Meanwhile, Nick battles with her own past secrets involving her family back in New Jersey. The Event premiered at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/03/2003
- DVD Release Date: 04/13/2004
- Distributor(s): ThinkFilm
- Director(s): Thom Fitzgerald
- Starring: Parker Posey , Olympia Dukakis , Don McKellar , Sarah Polley , Brent Carver
- Themes: Suicide,Living With AIDS
- Tone: Elegiac,Humorous,Intimate,Tearjerking,Earnest,Bittersweet,Compassionate
- Keywords: AIDS,District-Attorney,HIV,community,investigation,suicide
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-19-2003)
- Language: English