Plot & Details
The longest-running show in the history of the American theater (it opened at an off-Broadway theater in the spring of 1960, where it remained until the production finally closed in early 2002) finally arrives onscreen. Hucklebee (Brad Sullivan) and Bellamy (Joel Grey) are a pair of small town fathers who are scheming to bring their children Matt (Joseph McIntyre) and Luisa (Jean Louisa Kelly) together in a romance. As a carnival arrives to bring some excitement to the sleepy village, the fathers persuade a mysterious interloper named El Gallo (Jonathan Morris) to stage a mock abduction of Luisa, which will hopefully prompt Matt to come to her rescue. However, while El Gallo's plan succeeds, he also awakens his innocent charges to the darker and more disappointing side of love. The Fantasticks was shot and edited in 1995, but beyond a few preview screenings, it went unreleased until the fall of 2000. The film marked the dramatic debut of former New Kids on the Block vocalist Joseph McIntyre, and features Teller (of the magic/performance art duo Penn & Teller) in a rare speaking role.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/22/2000
- DVD Release Date: 02/27/2001
- Distributor(s): MGM/UA
- Director(s): Michael Ritchie
- Starring: Joel Grey , Barnard Hughes , Jean Louisa Kelly , Joey McIntyre , Jonathon Morris
- Themes: Parenthood,Innocence Lost,First Love
- Tone: Bright,Dreamlike,Earnest,Humorous,Lavish,Quirky,Stylized,Witty
- Keywords: deception, disillusionment, family-feud, feud, kidnapping, loss-of-innocence, unhappiness
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-22-2000)
- Language: English