Plot & Details
Director Jonathan Lynn followed up the surprise hit The Whole Nine Yards with this musical comedy starring Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding Jr. Gooding plays Darrin, a shallow New York advertising executive, who travels to a small town in the deep south upon receiving word that his aunt has passed away and left him a sizable inheritance. But once Darrin gets into town, he is informed that he will only receive the money if he successfully leads a local gospel group to victory at an upcoming competition. Reluctant but strapped for cash, Darrin takes on the task of finding the best singers in town and shaping the group up. Along the way, he becomes acclimated to the town with the help of his cousin Lucius (Mike Epps) and meets Lilly (Beyoncé Knowles), a single mother who not only possesses an incredible voice but also the ability to warm Darrin's cold heart. Along with Knowles, the supporting cast features a number of other real musicians, including Faith Evans, Melba Moore, Angie Stone, Montell Jordan, and The O'Jays.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 122min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/19/2003
- DVD Release Date: 02/03/2004
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Jonathan Lynn
- Starring: Cuba Gooding, Jr. , Beyoncé Knowles , Melba Moore , Mike Epps , Shirley Caesar
- Themes: Fish Out of Water,Inheritance at Stake
- Tone: Bright,Heartwarming,Sweet
- Keywords: advertising-executive,choir,executive,fish-out-of-water,gospel-music,inheritance,single-parent,will [document]
- Country of Origin: USA (09-19-2003)
- Language: English