Plot & Details
Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Huston give standout performances in this dark, psychological western, which Martin Scorsese has compared to the work of Dostoevsky. T.C. Jeffords (Huston) is a cunning and highly successful ranch owner who has announced his engagement to a wealthy socialite, Flo Burnett (Judith Anderson). This news is not warmly received by his daughter Vance (Stanwyck); she had a romance of her own with gambler Rip Darrow (Wendell Corey) foiled by her father, and Vance does not care for her light-headed stepmother-to-be. Vance is driven into a violent rage by T.C.'s Machiavellian actions, and when he kills a good friend of Vance's (a ranch hand he believes was helping Mexicans squat on his land), she swears revenge on her father and joins forces with Darrow to see that violent justice is done. The Furies proved to be Walter Huston's last film; he died within a few months of its release.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 109min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/06/2003
- DVD Release Date: 06/24/2008
- Director(s): Anthony Mann
- Starring: Barbara Stanwyck , Wendell Corey , Walter Huston , Judith Anderson , Gilbert Roland
- Themes: Forbidden Love,Cattle Ranchers,Fathers and Daughters,Out For Revenge,Ranchers
- Tone: Poignant,Reflective,Tense
- Keywords: bankruptcy, daughter, lover, lynching, socialite, family-member, generation-gap, ranch, revenge
- Language: English