Plot & Details
Eddie Murphy followed up his Beverly Hills Cop success with this fantasy adventure that plops him right into the land of Ray Harryhausen and Indiana Jones. The plot revolves around a God-like youngster (J.L. Reate) known as a "golden child," who has been sent to Tibet to bring the gift of compassion to humanity. But the devil isn't idle, sending his emissary, Sardo Numspa (Charles Dance) to kidnap the golden child. Sardo absconds with the child and takes off to Los Angeles. In L.A., a beautiful Tibetan priestess named Kee Nang (Charlotte Lewis) seeks out Chandler Jarrell (Eddie Murphy), a social worker and self-styled "finder of lost children." She tells Chandler he has been chosen to rescue the magical child from the devil and save the world from evil. Before Chandler can let go of his first riposte, he finds himself holding a magic dagger, following a sacred parakeet, and under-going several trials by fire. He also falls in love with Kee Nang, who at one point in the film has to be brought back from the dead.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Action,Comedy
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/30/2006
- DVD Release Date: 03/09/1999
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Michael Ritchie
- Starring: Eddie Murphy , Charles Dance , Charlotte Lewis , Victor Wong , J.L. Reate
- Themes: Culture Clash,Opposites Attract,Interracial/Cross-Cultural Romance,Unlikely Heroes,Priceless Artifacts and Prized Objects,Fish Out of Water
- Tone: Earnest,Hallucinatory,Humorous,Ominous,Rousing,Fanciful
- Keywords: demon, monk, search, social-worker, temple, abandonment, house, kidnapping, oracle, religion, religious-leader, rescue
- Country of Origin: USA (12-12-1986)
- Language: English