Plot & Details
Anna Dunlap (Diane Keaton) is a divorced mother living is Boston with her 6-year-old daughter Molly (Asia Viera). She supports herself and her daughter by working part time in a lab and teaching piano. Her ex-husband Brian (James Naughton) is a Washington lawyer who has since remarried. Anna meets Leo Cutter (Liam Neeson) and she and the Irish sculptor begin a torrid and passionate love affair. Molly walks in while the two are making love and lies down to sleep next to her mother, oblivious of their act of intimacy. Molly innocently relates the incident to Brian, and the livid lawyer sues for custody of the little girl. An ugly courtroom battle begins, with Leo being accused of molestation of a minor and Anna branded as an amoral, unfit mother. Her attorney Muth (Jason Robards) levels with Anna and tells her she must choose between Molly and her lover. Directed by Leonard Nimoy, this powerful drama is taken from the best-selling novel by Sue Miller.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 104min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/04/1988
- DVD Release Date: 06/04/2002
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): Leonard Nimoy
- Starring: Diane Keaton , Liam Neeson , Jason Robards, Jr. , Ralph Bellamy , Teresa Wright
- Themes: Custody Battles
- Tone: Angry,Earnest,Melancholy,Reflective,Tearjerking
- Keywords: abuse,betrayal,child,child-abuse,custody,divorce,family,family-tragedy,molestation,piano-teacher,sculpture,single-parent
- Country of Origin: USA (11-04-1988)
- Language: English