Plot & Details
One of the most highly regarded haunted house films ever produced, Robert Wise's The Haunting (based on Shirley Jackson's novel The Haunting of Hill House) weaves the dark tale of a questionably sane young woman and a sinister house which holds a terrifying past. Invited to join anthropologist Dr. Markway (Richard Johnson), ESP expert Theodora (Claire Bloom), and probable heir to the estate Luke Sanderson (Russ Tamblyn) in order to dispel the near mythical tales that surround the house, unstable Eleanor Vance (Julie Harris) agrees to spend a few nights in the house following the death of her mother. As they slowly begin to discover, the horrific and seemingly unbelievable tales may hold more truth than the skeptical guests might have previously expected. With a seemingly unstoppable supernatural force lurking in every shadow, the probability of anyone escaping the evil clutch of the cursed mansion seems increasingly remote.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 113min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/01/2002
- DVD Release Date: 08/05/2003
- Distributor(s): Dream Works
- Director(s): Robert Wise
- Starring: Julie Harris , Claire Bloom , Richard Johnson , Russ Tamblyn , Lois Maxwell
- Themes: Psychic Abilities,Ghosts
- Tone: Atmospheric,Deliberate,Eerie,Ominous,Understated
- Keywords: lesbianism, maniac, mansion, obsession, psychiatry, research, ghost, haunted-house, paranormal, supernatural-forces
- Language: English