Plot & Details
Peter Yates directs the early '70s comedy caper The Hot Rock, based on the Donald Westlake novel and adapted for the screen by William Goldman. Robert Redford stars as John Archibald Dortmunder, a former jewel thief just released from prison. His brother-in-law, Andrew Kelp (George Segal), recruits him to steal a diamond from a museum. They are hired by Dr. Amusa (Moses Gunn), an ambassador from Central Fatawi, whose people consider the stone to be sacred. John and Andrew assemble a team with Alan Greenberg (Paul Sand) and Stan Murch (Ron Leibman). They successfully pull off the job until the guards arrest them and Alan swallows the diamond. Alan's father (Zero Mostel) helps him break out of jail, which leads to a series of other heist attempts.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Thriller
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/09/2009
- Director(s): Peter Yates
- Starring: Robert Redford , George Segal , Ron Leibman , Paul Sand , Zero Mostel
- Themes: Perfect Crime,Jewel Theft
- Tone: Deadpan,Easygoing,Humorous,Light,Quirky,Stylized,Tense
- Keywords: museum, accomplice [criminal], diamond, ex-convict, jewel-robbery, lawyer, neurotic, thief
- Language: English