Plot & Details
While most people are familiar only with the Lon Chaney Sr. and Charles Laughton versions of Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, this 1982 TV adaptation was the fourteenth filmization of the Hugo novel. Anthony Hopkins, barely recognizable under mounds of disfiguring body makeup, plays Quasimodo, the deformed 15th-century bellringer of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. Leslie-Anne Down plays Esmerelda, the gypsy girl who wins Quasimodo's unswerving loyalty when she offers him water after he is publicly flogged. And Derek Jacobi plays Dom Claude Frollo, the hypocritically pious archdeacon of Notre Dame, who'll do anything to claim Esmerelda for himself. Produced by Norman Rosemont, The Hunchback of Notre Dame originally aired February 4, 1982, as a Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 102min.
- DVD Release Date: 03/03/2009
- Director(s): Michael Tuchner
- Starring: Anthony Hopkins , Derek Jacobi , Lesley-Anne Down , Robert Powell , John Gielgud
- Themes: Self-Destructive Romance,Unrequited Love
- Tone: Compassionate,Downbeat,Earnest,Melancholy,Poignant
- Keywords: bellringer, bishop, book, deformity, film, gypsy, hunchback, love, maniac, production [showbiz], romance, sacrifice, television, witch, false-accusation, self-sacrifice, unrequited, witchcraft
- Language: English