Plot & Details
Lars von Trier wrote (in four days) and directed this Danish comedy-drama about a group of Copenhagen eccentrics who find a therapeutic release and confront apathy via unacceptable, idiotic behavior which they call "spazzing." Stoffer (Jens Albinus) is supposed to be selling his uncle's house but instead it becomes the focal point for geeky group activities. Restaurant patrons are disturbed by the group's mischief, but single diner Karen (Bodil Jorgensen) develops an appreciation of their antics. Stoffer, at his birthday party, wishes for a "gangbang," and both clothes and inhibitions are soon discarded. But when Stoffer calls for the group members to let idiocy invade their personal daily lives, only Karen takes up the challenge. Shown in competition at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 115min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/28/2000
- DVD Release Date: 10/24/2000
- Distributor(s): USA
- Director(s): Lars von Trier
- Starring: Bodil Jorgensen , Jens Albinus , Louise Hassing , Troels Lyby , Nikolaj Lie Kaas
- Themes: Suburban Dysfunction,Existential Crisis
- Tone: Biting,Confrontational,Deadpan,Satirical,Sexual
- Keywords: Danish [nationality],birthday,eccentric,gang-rape,group,idiot,middle-class,social-conventions
- Country of Origin: USA (04-28-2000)
- Language: Danish