Plot & Details
Jack Hawkins plays a former British army officer who is surprised in his home one evening by a burglar. His surprise is compounded when the intruder turns out to be one of the men from his World War II army unit. With the straight-arrow diligence of a wartime commander, Hawkins delves into the unfortunate burglar's past, trying to discover why so promising a soldier hit the skids. The film is not so much a mystery but a genteel expose of the socioeconomic problems facing discharged servicemen in postwar England. The Intruder was adapted by Robin Maugham (son of Somerset Maugham) from his own novel Line on Ginger.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 84min.
- Director(s): Guy Hamilton
- Starring: Jack Hawkins , Hugh Williams , Michael Medwin , George Cole , Dennis Price
- Themes: Down on Their Luck,Home From the War,Unlikely Criminals
- Tone: Bleak,Disturbing,Downbeat
- Keywords: flashback, intruder, officer, past, veteran [military], British, house, regiment, surprise, thief