Plot & Details
Groucho Marx received co-writer credit (along with his old friend Norman Krasna) for King and the Chorus Girl, though very little Marxian wit is in evidence. What remains is a fun but forgettable comedy about a European monarch (Fernand Gravet) who woos and wins a down-to-earth American chorine (Joan Blondell) who works at the Folies Bergere. Edward Everett Horton and Jane Wyman (fifth-billed) provide comic relief as the respective best friends and severest critics of the leading players. The film had a topical edge in that it was released the year after Britain's King Edward renounced his throne for American divorcee Wallis Warfield Simpson. Significantly, King and the Chorus Girl was released in England as Romance is Sacred, effectively downplaying the touchy "royal" angle.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals,Romance
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/18/2007
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Mervyn LeRoy
- Starring: Fernand Gravey , Joan Blondell , Edward Everett Horton , Alan Mowbray , Jane Wyman
- Keywords: chorus-girl, friendship, monarch