Plot & Details
In 1979, Jonathan Demme was still a cutting-edge director and The Last Embrace was his first effort at a completely commercial assignment. Very much in the Hitchcock vein, The Last Embrace is an intense suspense film concerning Harry Hannan (Roy Scheider), a government agent recovering from a catatonic collapse after the murder of his wife. After Harry's recovery, he is back on the job, but he can't figure out whether he is suffering from self-induced paranoia or if his former employers want to kill him. These conflicting feelings are exacerbated when he forms a connection with a nervous graduate student, Ellie Fabian (Janet Margolin), whom he discovers is living in his apartment.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 102min.
- Director(s): Jonathan Demme
- Starring: Roy Scheider , Janet Margolin , Christopher Walken , Sam Levene , John Glover
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Death of a Partner
- Tone: Moody,Ominous,Paranoid,Stylized,Tense
- Keywords: government, murder, paranoia, student, wife
- Language: English