Plot & Details
Jules Dassin, blacklisted during the McCarthy era, directs this routine, ostensibly romantic tale that really courts an underlying theme of the misuse of power. Based on a popular French novel and set in a small Mediterranean town, the story involves a small group of men and the woman several of them desire. The men gather around in the local tavern each evening to play a rather vicious game called "The Law." One man is chosen to dictate to the others, and they have to do what he says, no matter how humiliating. Marietta (Gina Lollobrigida) is the gorgeous servant of Don Cesare (Pierre Brasseur), desired by Francesco, the son of a crime boss (Yves Montand), and by her brother-in-law. She herself has fallen in love with Enrico (Marcello Mastroianni), a poor engineer. Determined to get a dowry and thereby be able to marry Enrico, Marietta turns the tables on the men who play "The Law."
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 122min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/23/2010
- DVD Release Date: 04/11/2000
- Distributor(s): MGM, Oscilloscope Pictures (USA)
- Director(s): Jules Dassin
- Starring: Gina Lollobrigida , Pierre Brasseur , Marcello Mastroianni , Yves Montand , Melina Mercouri
- Themes: Opposites Attract,Small-Town Life,Looking For Love
- Tone: Quirky,Sexy
- Keywords: engineering, hypocrisy, small-town, tourist, village, gangster, morals, prostitute/prostitution, seduction
- Country of Origin: France (01-25-1959),Italy (03-26-1959),USA - Limited (06-23-2010
- Language: French