Plot & Details
Barry Newman stars as Tony Petrocelli, a maverick Midwestern attorney. Petrocelli is hired to defend a wealthy doctor (Robert Colbert), accused of murdering his wife. In the tradition of Sam Sheppard, the truculent doctor insists that the killing was committed by a mystery intruder who knocked him unconscious. Thanks to the doctor's healthy extramarital life, the case receives a surfeit of negative press coverage. Since he's already been tried by the public, it comes as little surprise to the doctor that he's found guilty. But during the appeal process, Petrocelli manages to locate a witness who opens the possibility that the murderer was the husband of the doctor's mistress. Five years after the theatrical release of The Lawyer, Barry Newman would star in a TV-series spin-off, Petrocelli.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 117min.
- Director(s): Sidney J. Furie
- Starring: Barry Newman , Harold Gould , Diana Muldaur , Robert Colbert , Kathleen Crowley
- Themes: Lawyers,Miscarriage of Justice
- Tone: Matter-of-Fact,Ominous,Tense
- Keywords: wife, defense-attorney, doctor, extramarital-affair, murder-trial, witness
- Language: English