Plot & Details
On a midnight clear 2,000 years ago, three wise men enter a manger where a babe is wrapped in swaddling clothes. It is an infant called Brian...and the three wise men are in the wrong manger. For the rest of his life, Brian (Graham Chapman) finds himself regarded as something of a messiah -- yet he's always in the shadow of this other guy from Galilee. Brian is witness to the Sermon of the Mount, but his seat is in such a bad location that he can't hear any of it ("Blessed are the cheesemakers?"). Ultimately, he is brought before Pontius Pilate and sentenced to crucifixion, which takes place at that crowded, nonexclusive execution site a few blocks shy of Calvary. Rather than utter the Last Six Words, Brian leads his fellow crucifixees in a spirited rendition of a British music-hall cheer-up song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." The whole Monty Python gang (Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, and Terry Gilliam) are on hand in multiple roles, playing such sacred characters as Stan Called Loretta, Biggus Dickus, Deadly Dirk, Casts the First Stone, and Intensely Dull Youth; also showing up are Goon Show veteran Spike Milligan and a Liverpool musician named George Harrison.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/01/1994
- DVD Release Date: 11/16/1999
- Distributor(s): Independent Artists
- Director(s): Terry Jones
- Starring: Graham Chapman , Terry Jones , Michael Palin , John Cleese , Eric Idle
- Themes: Mistaken Identities,Rise and Fall Stories
- Tone: Goofy,Humorous,Satirical,Silly,Whimsical,Madcap
- Keywords: Messiah, identity, life, Christianity, Roman, crucifixion, execution, innocence, leader, martyrdom, mistaken-identity, religion, stoning
- Language: English