Plot & Details
Based upon The Chase of the Golden Plate by Jacques Futrelle, The Man Behind the Mask was the last film Michael Powell made before The Edge of the World established him as a major director. As the film begins, loving couple Nick Barclay (Hugh Williams) and June Slade ($Jane Baxter) are attending a fancy masked ball, from which they plan to elope. Nick, however, is assaulted, and his assailant takes his place at the party. Thus disguised, he steals away with both June and a famous artifact, the Shield of Kahm, that belongs to her father, Lord Slade. Nick, whose story of being assaulted is not given full credence, begins a search for June, enlisting the aid of a Dr. Walpole and his secretary along the way. They rescue June and the Shield from an inn, although they do not capture the thief. June and Nick proceed with their plans to marry; but with the burglar still loose and upset that his plans were foiled, neither they nor the Shield are safe.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 79min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/01/1992
- Director(s): Michael Powell
- Keywords: assumed-identity, astronomy, attack, ball [dance], couple, craziness, disguise, elopement, father, hostage, identity, maniac, mask [disguise], museum, party, plans, robbery, damsel-in-distress, kidnapping, rescue, scheme