Plot & Details
Anthony Mann directed this brilliant psychological Western reminiscent of Shakespeare's King Lear. James Stewart plays Will Lockhart, who is obsessed with finding the man who sold automatic rifles to the Apaches, resulting in the death of his brother. Will enters the town of Coronado, NM, ruled by the blind and aging patriarch Alec Waggoman (Donald Crisp). Unaware that he is trespassing on Waggoman's land, he finds himself accosted by Alec's sociopathic son, Dave (Alex Nicol), who brutally beats Will and is ready to kill him. But Will is rescued at the last minute by Waggoman's adopted son, Vic Hansbro (Arthur Kennedy). Will finds that Waggoman has become increasingly concerned over who will inherit his vast empire.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 104min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/24/1997
- DVD Release Date: 02/15/2000
- Director(s): Anthony Mann
- Starring: James Stewart , Arthur Kennedy , Donald Crisp , Cathy O'Donnell , Alex Nicol
- Themes: Cattle Ranchers,Fathers and Sons,Out For Revenge,Ranchers
- Tone: Disturbing,Forceful,Tense
- Keywords: Native-American, blindness [physical], brother, inheritance, maniac, patriarch, ranch, tracking [following], aging, death-in-family, family, family-business, father, feud, murder, revenge, weapons
- Language: English