Plot & Details
A pair of top 20th Century Fox contractees were loaned to Paramount as stars of The Mating Season. Gene Tierney plays globe-trotting socialite Maggie Carleton, while Thelma Ritter is cast as Ellen McNulty, the hash-slinging mother of Maggie's husband, Val (John Lund). Perceiving that her son is embarrassed by his lower-class origins, Ellen poses as a maid when she attends Maggie and Val's wedding reception. Even after Val expresses displeasure at this deception, Ellen refuses to reveal her true identity, leading to a series of funny and poignant consequences. Miriam Hopkins co-stars as Ellen's blue-blooded mother, whose third-act arrival heralds the film's inevitable "moment of truth." Rest assured, The Mating Season is never dull.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 101min.
- Director(s): Mitchell Leisen
- Starring: Gene Tierney , John Lund , Miriam Hopkins , Thelma Ritter , Jan Sterling
- Themes: Assumed Identities,Class Differences
- Tone: Madcap,Warm,Whimsical
- Keywords: humiliation, marriage, mistaken-identity, mother, socialite, deception, maid, party, rags-to-riches, son
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1951||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Supporting Actress||Thelma Ritter||Nominated|