In the 15th century, France is mired in the 100 Years War when a humble voice appears, claiming to have been instructed by the Lord to lead the French army into battle and defend their land against the British. The voice belongs to Jeanne d'Aragon, a teenage girl from a tiny village, and, to the surprise of many, her story does not fall on deaf ears. Wearing the armor of a soldier, the girl known as Joan of Arc leads the French troops in what she believes is a holy battle. Joan would soon be tried for heresy for her actions, but history would vindicate her with sainthood. The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc stars Milla Jovovich as Joan of Arc, Faye Dunaway as Yolande d'Aragon, and Dustin Hoffman as The Grand Inquisitor. Directed by Luc Besson, The Messenger was originally titled Joan of Arc but added the prefix to avoid confusion with the 1999 TV movie of the same name, which starred Leelee Sobieski.
- Genre(s): Drama,Epic and Historical
- Run Time: 148min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/12/1999
- DVD Release Date: 04/04/2000
- Distributor(s): Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Themes: Message From God,Great Battles,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Forceful,Lavish,Rousing,Visceral
Britain, France, battle [war], heretic, history, leader, saint
- Country of Origin: USA (11-12-1999)
- Language: English