Plot & Details
This fill-in-the-blanks children's comedy from Disney was such a success that it spawned a number of fill-in-the-blanks sequels -- along with a real-life professional hockey team. The basic story -- outcast coach handles a team of outcast kids and turns them from losers into winners -- has been told in a number of films, including Wildcats, The Bad News Bears, Hoosiers, and Youngblood. Here the sport is hockey. Emilio Estevez is Gordon Bombay, a high-powered lawyer haunted by an incident from his past: while playing pee-wee league hockey as a child, young Gordon missed a crucial shot in the state finals game, invoking the wrath of his coach, Mr. Reilly (Lane Smith). When Gordon is arrested for drunk driving, the judge orders him to take a leave of absence and coach a hockey team of misfit kids. At first, Gordon treats the coaching job with contempt. But when his team loses to a team led by his old coach Reilly, the fire under Gordon is lit. Inspired, he leads his team on a mission to succeed. The team begins to win games and soon they are ready to face Reilly's team for the big championship game.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family
- Run Time: 114min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/02/1992
- DVD Release Date: 04/11/2000
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): Stephen Herek
- Starring: Emilio Estevez , Joss Ackland , Lane Smith , Heidi Kling , Josef Sommer
- Themes: Underdogs,Hockey Players
- Tone: Humorous,Rousing,Upbeat
- Keywords: athlete,child,coach,community-service,competition,forbidden-love,hockey,inner-city,lawyer,misfit,respect,self-discovery,sports,team,underdog,urban
- Country of Origin: USA (10-02-1992)
- Language: English